The Back Story.
During the Fall Fashion Weeks – that would be those held this past fall – when the houses showed their Spring 2011 lines, we saw some unambiguous references to the late 1950s and early 1960s. Mad Men was blamed, which seems reasonable enough. They say that economic hard times drive the hems downward, too, but “they” have been saying that so incessantly that I’m not sure the designers aren’t consciously deciding to push south of the knee just because they’re ‘supposed to’. The houses did not seem quite so narrowly focused on that 1958-1964 time slot in their Fall 2011 lines, but the hems are almost universally to the knee if not lower.
I’ve been wanting to blog this little dress from Shiki, and searched through the style files of the Spring 2011 lines for something I could mimic with it. That’s doing it backwards, I suppose, and I wasn’t all that successful except for the early 60’s reference. I could swear my grandmother had this exact same outfit. I may not have a direct reference here, but I wasn’t too far off the mark X’ed by Dries Van Noten.
- Hair: Dura – Naoka – 0L (in-store hunt item)
- Skin: &Bean – Old Bones, Iblewc3po rosy – past hunt item
- Jacket: S@bbia – 2nd Anniverary Gift – 0L (group gift)
- Dress: Shiki – Garden – 0L (August ’09 group gift)
- Bracelet: Bubblez Designs – LH EastWest outfit – 0L (group gift)
- Shoes: Shiny Things – Delphine pumps in gold – 0L (subscriber gift)
- Location: Chinese Bamboo Garden
Color indicates item is still available at this price as of posting date.